With menswear moving from out of the shadow of the womenswear, SA Fashion Week has realized the necessity of a menswear designer competition to support emerging menswear labels in their breakthrough into this competitive market.
Delivering world class sophistication, the winner of the Scouting Menswear receives mentorship and business support valued at R100, 000.
â€śMINI has always been a brand for people who dare to do things differently, to stand outâ€ťâ€“ Thiloshini Moodally, Head of MINI South Africa. For the second time, SAFW brings to you MINI Scouting Menswear in Association with GQ Magazine, showcasing collections from South Africaâ€™s talented menswear designers.
Previous winners include:
2014 Beware the Wolf in Sheepâ€™s Clothing
2016 Floyd Avenue
2017 De Mil
2018 Kumkani Bespoke
The winner will be given opportunities worth more than R100,000 which includes:
- Showcasing their Spring/Summer 2019 Collection at SA Fashion Week [SAFW] in April 2019 and their Autumn/Winter 2020 Collection at SAFW in October 2019.
- A stand at the SAFW Designer Pop Up Shop in August 2019 (budget dependent).
- Media exposure in GQ South Africa.
- An all-expenses paid trip to Pitti Immagine Uomo in Florence, Italy, in June 2019.
- Fashion designers who have been in business for no more than 10 years
- Designers who are working towards establishing themselves/their brands in the South African Fashion Industry
- Designers with a fashion design diploma/degree or a minimum of 5 years designing experience
- Previous SAFW Scouting Menswear finalists can enter but only if it is for a second time
- Previous SAFW Scouting Menswear winners cannot enter
Complete the online entry form by 25 January 2019.
1st Judging â€“ selection of the semi-finalists.
Submit a portfolio with more background of your brand.
Sketches and fabric swatches of your 8 Spring/Summer â€™19 looks.
Submission deadline: 11 February 2019
2nd Judging â€“ selection of the showcasing finalists.
Semi-finalists will present their collections to the judges during a fitting and interview.
Finalists who will go through to show at SAFW SS19, will be chosen during this judging.